Passionate about life sciences? Eager to work with world class scientists to translate their groundbreaking scientific findings into applications by partnering with industry? Then you're the colleague we're looking for!
VIB is an excellence-based entrepreneurial research institute in life sciences that focuses on excellence in basic science and translating basic scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB’s Innovation & Business team currently manages a portfolio of +250 patent families and looks for lucrative partnering deals with industry in a very pro-active and creative way. VIB is also firmly rooted in a long-standing tradition of setting up start-up companies. Since its foundation in 1996, VIB has created >25 start-up companies. VIB is funded by the Flemish government and works in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University. The link between basic research and valorisation has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team consists of industry trained IP, business development and new venture professionals supported by a highly skilled administrative and paralegal team. The team is highly complementary and works closely together to create value out of the scientific inventions from the institute.
In order to further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is recruiting a Business Development Manager for its Center for Cancer Biology.
We are looking for a motivated colleague, of proven maturity in professional environments and a strong scientific background in life science research, to help drive the academia-to-industry transition for VIB innovations. In particular, the Business Development Manager will take responsibility for the VIB’s Center for Cancer Biology and be responsible to drive the business development activities in consultation with scientists and colleagues.
Specifically, the tasks at hand are:
- Identifying and understanding scientific research data in discussions with the VIB principal investigators and identifying business opportunities based on such research.
- Project management for incubating scientific, translational projects aimed at de-risking early scientific data to create assets that are ready for partnering with industry
- Building and presenting business cases and marketing materials with the aim to partner with industry (R&D collaborations and/or licensing)
- Marketing and identifying industrial research partners and /or licensees based on our patent portfolio and research expertise
- Negotiating and drafting of research, joint ownership and related agreements with different parties
- Negotiating and drafting of term sheets and license agreements with industry
- Monitoring the correct implementation of concluded agreements & contract follow-up
- Close team-interaction with colleagues in IP management, Business Development, New Ventures and VIB Discovery Sciences to ensure an optimal valorisation route for each asset
- Developing and maintaining a network of international corporate contacts
- Liaise with the VIB PIs on tech transfer matters
- Expand VIB’s network with scientific and business contacts in industry
- Dedicated to proactively translating basic science into industrial collaborations and licensing
- Ph.D. in life sciences and experience in life sciences research projects
- Strong scientific background in oncology
- Experience in industry-setting, either biotech company or large corporate environment or alternatively experience at the interface between industry and research
- Experience in technology transfer, translational projects, business development or contract negotiations is preferable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Willing to work both in Leuven and Ghent
- Strong analytical skills
- Team player
- A professional and stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.