About VIB Discovery Sciences
VIB is an international Life Sciences research institute based in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in pharmaceutical and agricultural industries. To support this process, VIB established VIB Discovery Sciences, a unit focused on translational research projects and embedded in the VIB Innovation and Business team. Our team comprises industry-trained scientists, project leaders, and research technicians, who work closely with VIB’s academic research labs and core facilities, as well as external partners, towards translation of scientific results into applications.
We are looking for an associate scientist (PhD level) to join our Agro discovery team, based on the technology park in the Ghent campus.
You will support the establishment of a pipeline for genome editing, transformation, and phenotyping of soybean, thereby expanding the crop portfolio at VIB. This is a close collaboration between VIB Discovery Sciences, the VIB Plant Systems Biology centre, and ILVO (the Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research).
Specifically, the position involves a combination of project management, under guidance of a senior project leader, and hands-on experimental work, with support from an experienced research associate. Representative tasks include:
- Coordinate and drive the implementation of the soybean platform
- Project planning
- Literature mining
- Acquisition and set up of equipment as needed
- Optimisation of growth conditions in growth chambers and greenhouse
- Determination of phenotyping parameters
- Research, validate, and optimise protocols
- Plan and perform experiments with minimal supervision
- Support/conduct data analysis and visualisation
- Produce data reports using electronic lab notebook
- Discuss results and elaborate next steps together
- Contribute to general lab management (equipment maintenance, stocks …)
- Be actively involved in the collaboration between VIB and ILVO
- PhD in plant biology
- Marked interest in application-oriented research
- Expertise in plant-based work is a must: in vitro and in soil growth, phenotyping
- Experience in one or more of the following is a plus: soybean cultivation, cloning, genome editing, bioinformatics, Agrobacterium infection, biolistics, tissue culture
- Willingness to learn new techniques and take over responsibilities
- Commitment and self-motivation
- Ability to work in a small team environment with short communication lines, where initiative and flexibility are key
- Strong communication skills and a good command of oral and written English
- A full time position for 2 years in a dynamic, international environment (starting date: as soon as possible)
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise, expand your network, and develop your career
How to apply?
Submit your application online. Please be sure to include your CV, cover letter, and 2 references.