Lead a lab at a top international institute
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology (Belgium) is searching for a Principal Investigator (PI) to join their faculty. Our Center currently has 5 PIs and hosts internationally recognized leaders in the field of Neurogenetics and Neuroinflammation and recently attracted Prof. dr. Rosa Rademakers as the new Scientific Director. Current research groups address a broad set of questions related to neurodegenerative diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, with an emphasis on understanding the genetic etiology and developing diagnostics and treatment methods for these diseases. Approaches range from human genetics and genomics to protein biochemistry and neuronal and glial cell biology, while models include yeast, fly, mouse, and pluripotent human cell systems. Research groups have access to state-of-the-art research and top-notch support core facilities and attract talented Ph.D. students and postdocs from across the world.
The vision of the Center is to grow substantially in the next 5 years and to invest in a collaborative research environment focused on team-science. Together, we will aim to use innovative clinical, genetic, computational, and functional biology approaches to define the molecular causes of neurodegenerative brain diseases and their key disease-modifying pathways and to translate neuroscience discoveries into more precise diagnoses and treatment options for patients. As part of a major investment at VIB-UAntwerp to address new challenges in the area of functional genomics and individualized medicine, we are particularly seeking a candidate with a primary interest in neurodegenerative disorders with expertise in unraveling disease-associated cellular and molecular mechanisms. Candidates at the junior to senior level and with a track record of important contributions to the field of neuroscience with a focus on in-vitro and in-vivo disease modelling are encouraged to apply. We look for candidates that have research plans and a scientific vision that complements those of the faculty at the Center, creating synergies and opportunities for collaboration.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center is part of VIB, a Life Sciences institute with colleague-researchers in cancer, biotechnology, structural biology, immunology amongst others and an extensive set of core facilities and opportunities for technology transfer. We are also embedded within the University of Antwerp, which hosts additional research groups focused on neuroimaging, electrophysiology, biomedical informatics (Biomina), proteomics and (epi-)genetics.
- Obtained a Ph.D. and have experience as a postdoctoral researcher or faculty member
- Innovative research goals with valorization potential in the field of functional biology
- Demonstrated scientific excellence and made impactful discoveries in the area of neuroscience, demonstrating creativity and scientific quality
- Demonstrated success in obtaining competitive research funding
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset
- Goal to become a great coach and mentor of junior trainees
- Interest in outreach and broadly contributing to a top scientific environment
- Studied or worked in different regions/countries
- Experience in technology transfer is not required but would be considered a strength
- Full salary and core funding for five years (internationally competitive > 1 million EUR package depending on experience) that is renewable every 5 years.
- An attractive employment package including 100% of your salary and excellent health benefits
- Access to excellent and staffed core facilities at our Center, UAntwerp and at VIB
- An internationally recognized, vibrant and collaborative research environment
- Broad administrative and accounting support, including help recruiting technicians, Ph.D. and post-doc scientists for your group
- Professional leadership training for all PIs in the institute
- State-of-the-art research space
- A workplace that values diversity and promotes an inclusive environment
- Help with relocation and establishing a life in Belgium, including visa application (if necessary), housing, schooling and day care
About the City of Antwerp and Flanders
Antwerp is a dynamic and attractive European university city with a rich history and a lively multicultural atmosphere. Antwerp and the greater region of Flanders are internationally-oriented and tech-minded with a strong biotechnology sector with spin-offs and start-ups, creating a natural home for researchers and their families. English is very widely spoken in the city and surrounding area.
Antwerp offers an affordable high standard of living and has an international school. The public education system and public health care system in Flanders are world-class, easily accessible, and low-cost to end-users. Public transport is also excellent and widely available. Antwerp is only 15 minutes away from Deurne Airport and 35 minutes by train from Brussels International Airport that has many daily direct flights to North America, Africa and Asia. There are also high-speed direct international rail connections to Paris, London and Amsterdam.
Start date: in the course of 2021
How to apply?
To apply please use the following link: PI Positions and upload:
- your CV
- contact details of 3 referees
- a 2-5 page statement of your research interests and research goals
- a cover letter
Application deadline: We begin reviewing candidates on March 15th, 2021; reviewing will continue until the position is filled. Short-listed applicants will be invited in April - June 2021 for an interview.
For more information
Contact Prof. dr. Rosa Rademakers, chair of the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org