Passionate about life sciences and the important role technology plays in breakthrough science? Eager to work with world class technology experts serving the VIB research labs and scientists around the globe to push their research forward? Then you're the colleague we're looking for! Come and join a skilled and engaging Innovation & Business (I&B) team at VIB dedicated to drive the academia-to-industry transition for scientific inventions.
VIB is an excellence-based entrepreneurial research institute that focuses on excellence in basic life sciences and translating this into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB’s I&B team currently manages a portfolio of +250 patent families and looks for lucrative partnering deals with industry in a very pro-active and creative way. VIB is also firmly rooted in a long-standing tradition of setting up start-up companies. The link between basic research, technology and valorisation has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
As technology is heavily intertwined with scientific research, VIB has set up a Technology Ecosystem that harbors the TechWatch team and the VIB Core Facilities Program. TechWatch is a unit that scouts for novel technologies while the VIB Core Facilities Program comprises 9 state-of-the art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on one of the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven or Brussels (https://connect.vib.be/). The role of these teams is to support the 1500 researchers at VIB and the Flemish biotech landscape with their expertise.
VIB is recruiting a Business Development Manager to further strengthen and expand the activities of VIB’s Technology programs.
We are looking for a motivated, tech savvy colleague with a strong scientific background in life science research, to help increase the visibility of the Core Facilities across borders, negotiate early development collaborations and to drive all business development activities in consultation with the technology experts and colleagues.
Specifically, the tasks at hand are:
- Understanding and matching the technological capabilities and expertise of the Core facilities with scientific research questions within VIB and beyond.
- Project management for negotiating and incubating scientific projects across different Core Facilities within VIB or with industry
- Lead and execute institutional project to improve internal workflows and communication
- Building and presenting business cases and marketing materials with the aim to increase the visibility of the technology driven programs at VIB
- Marketing and identifying industrial research partners based on our technology platforms and research expertise
- Negotiating and drafting of research collaborations, joint ownership and related agreements with different parties
- Negotiating early access programs with technology providers
- Monitoring the correct implementation of concluded agreements & contract follow-up
- Close team-interaction with colleagues in IP management, Business Development and New Ventures to ensure an optimal valorisation route for technology assets developed within VIB
- Expand VIB’s network with scientific and business contacts in industry
- Ph.D. in life sciences
- High interest in technology with preferably a strong background in technology focused work experience
- Experience in project management with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in technology transfer, business development or contract negotiations is
- Experience in industry-setting or alternatively experience at the interface between industry and research is a plus
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Strong affinity for marketing and outreach
- Can spot opportunities, kick start new initiatives, motivate stakeholders and execute the project to success
- Strong analytical skills
- Team player
- A professional and stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.