Doctoral scholarship holder to work on the genetic cause of a rare form of frontotemporal dementia using bioinformatic analysis of multiple omics datatypes
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology, Belgium in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder to work on the genetic cause of a rare form of frontotemporal dementia using bioinformatic analysis of multiple omics datatypes. The Rademakers lab performs research ranging from disease modeling, epigenetics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and long-read sequencing in the context of Frontotemporal Dementia and related dementias.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of frontotemporal dementia.
- Frontotemporal dementia is clinically characterized by language and behavioral impairment. A rare form, frontotemporal dementia with FUS pathology, remains genetically unexplained and affects about 10% of the patients. In this bioinformatics project, the candidate will investigate this intriguing subtype starting from the largest collection of patients with FUS pathology with multiple types of omics data. These datasets include state-of-the-art long-read nanopore DNA and cDNA sequencing for short and structural variants, cytosine methylation, chromatin accessibility, and alternative transcript expression, as well as short read genome sequencing, deep exome sequencing, RRBS and RNA-seq, further supplemented by single cell transcriptomics
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical, and creative individual to join our teams. The candidate should have a strong interest in bioinformatics and genetics, and experience in the analysis of sequencing data is considered an advantage.
- You hold a master’s degree in bioinformatics, related disciplines or equivalent through experience.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity, and cooperation.
- Proficient in verbal and written English.
- Ability to summarize data extracted from literature and to define research objectives.
- Passion for science, self-motivation, flexibility, and team spirit.
Desirable but not required
- Programming skills in Python or R
- Experience with data analysis, working in the Linux environment
- Experience with large scale data from genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, or bioinformatics
- Experience with data analysis of long-read sequencing and awareness of the biotechnological background
- Experience with a workflow system such as Snakemake or Nextflow
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do your work at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology, Campus Drie Eiken
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
Want to apply?
You can only apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time)
More details when you click on the following link:
If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Rosa Rademakers, scientific director, email@example.com. For more information about our research center https://uantwerpen.vib.be/group/RosaRademakers