The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of genetics of Alzheimer’s disease.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of Alzheimer’s genetics. Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a major global societal challenge and a threat to health care systems. The Sleegers lab uses advanced genomic technologies and computational genomics approaches to identify genetic variants affecting Alzheimer’s disease risk with the aim to gain a deeper molecular understanding of this devastating disease, and to translate these novel insights into meaningful actions for health care. The PhD project will use technologies such as long-read DNA and RNA sequencing, spatial transcriptomics and single cell sequencing to unravel the transcriptional landscape of AD risk genes, with specific focus on recently identified strong risk genes.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You hold a Master degree in Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Biomedicine or related discipline.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have a strong interest in genomic technologies and/or analysis of –omics data.
- Prior experience with programming in R or Python, and with data analysis of –omics data is considered an advantage.
- You are highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical, and creative.
- You are proficient in verbal and written English.
- You have the ability to summarize data extracted from literature and to define research objectives.
- You have a passion for science, self-motivation, flexibility, and team spirit.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will work at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology in a world-class research environment with state of the art research facilities.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can only apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time).
- More details via https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/jobs/vacancies/academic-staff/KristelSleegerslab
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Kristel Sleegers, Principal Investigator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.