VIB is a life sciences research institute in Belgium that is funded by the Flemish government. It has a strategic alliance with 5 partnering universities in Flanders, and its research activities are spread over 8 VIB research centers in the different universities. There are currently 1652 people and 90 research groups in VIB, which perform basic research with a strong focus on translating scientific results into biomedical, agricultural, and industrial applications.
The VIB Center for Inflammation Research (IRC) is one of the 9 VIB research centers, which has most of its activities at Ghent University. There are currently 15 VIB research groups in IRC and the total number of employees is 361, of which about one-third has a non-Belgian nationality. IRC studies the molecular and cellular mechanisms of inflammation. At the heart of this research is the investigation of inter- and intracellular signalling pathways in immune cells and structural cells of the skin, lung, gut, joints, and brain. IRC is studying these mechanisms mainly in cellular and mouse model systems by using the most advanced methods of molecular biotechnology, structural biology, cell biology, immunology, and bioinformatics. In addition, IRC’s research activities are supported by several high-end core facilities. For more information visit our website. https://vib.be/vib-center-infl...
We are now seeking a junior PI to join our ranks and establish a new research group on the topic of ‘organoid biology’. We look for candidates that have innovative research plans and a scientific vision that complements those of the other groups at the IRC, creating synergies and opportunities for collaboration. Furthermore, we aim to identify a new colleague who adds to the demographic diversity of our center.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences since max 10 years, excl. career breaks
- Research experience in 3D cell culture models
- A collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset
- Ambition to do innovative research and become a great coach and mentor of junior trainees
- Interest in outreach and broadly contributing to a top scientific environment
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Having stayed outside of Belgium for several years
- Full salary and core funding for five years (1.500.000 EUR work package)
- An attractive employment package including excellent health benefits
- Successful candidates will also receive a 10% appointment as professor at Ghent University to comply with the need for an academic appointment to apply for certain research grant applications in Belgium
- Access to excellent core facilities at IRC, other VIB centers, and Ghent University
- An internationally recognized, vibrant, and collaborative research environment
- Broad administrative and accounting support
- Continuous training opportunities offered by VIB and Ghent University
- Dedicated lab space and equipment
- A workplace that values diversity and promotes an inclusive environment
- Help with relocation and establishing a life in Belgium, including visa application if necessary, housing, schooling, day care
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply via the online tool.