VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 1800 scientists in over 5 universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position is within the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team of currently around 20 scientists, with a strong industry background, and focusing on validation and translation of VIB scientific breakthroughs into diagnostics, biomarker, drug, and agro product discovery projects. Its projects are run in close collaboration with VIB’s academic scientists, core technology facilities, and Innovation and Business Unit as well as external partners.
In order to strengthen its recently started Diagnostics and Biomarker team, VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, and self-motivated Expert Scientist with proven relevant industrial experience to strengthen its team in Gent.
- You plan and drive translational research projects in close collaboration with VIB scientists, aimed at developing candidate biomarkers into prototype diagnostic products with the necessary validation, as the basis for future deal-making and/or investments.
- You are responsible for managing collaborations with internal and external partners.
- You design and guide experimental strategies.
- You lead, design and execute studies in biomarker validation and diagnostics assay development.
- Hands-on experimental work and involvement in laboratory daily operations are expected.
- Applicants should have several years of industry-relevant experience in diagnostics development
- A solid technical and/or experimental background in some of the following technologies & fields is highly desirable.
- Nucleic acid-based diagnostic technologies and assay development (qPCR, ddPCR, NGS,…)
- Protein-based diagnostic technologies and assay development (antibody and bead-based immunoassays, ELISA, lateral flow assays,…)
- Mass Spectrometry based diagnostic applications
- Analytical validation of diagnostic assays
- Clinical validation of biomarker panels
- Data analysis
- Team player, applying your expertise to drive projects spanning a wide area of diseases with a high unmet need (oncology, inflammation, neuroscience, and infections).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in writing projects and grant proposals will be an advantage.
- Experience in supervising lab work & scientific personnel.
- Keen to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities.
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory.
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
Candidates are offered a full-time, open-ended contract. The position will be Gent-based but trips to our Leuven site and collaborators at the different VIB laboratories will be required.
We provide a supportive, stimulating, and international environment with a clear focus on biomarker and diagnostics development, at the forefront of life science, in the best team ever.
Comprehensive social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references
For more information please contact Erwin Sablon.