VIB and Montis Biosciences are looking for a postdoctoral scientist to characterize and develop next-generation immune-oncology drugs targeting vasculature-macrophage interactions. The 2-year position is part of a collaboration between biotech company Montis Biosciences and the VIB labs of Montis’ scientific founders Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology in Leuven, Belgium.
About the Peter Carmeliet Lab
The laboratory of Angiogenesis and Vascular Metabolism led by Professor Peter Carmeliet focusses on unraveling the molecular and cellular basis of the formation of blood vessels (angiogenesis) in health and disease and in particular the role of vascular metabolism and vascular heterogeneity herein, with the ultimate goal to identify novel therapeutic pro- or anti-angiogenic strategies.
About the Max Mazzone Lab
The laboratory of Tumor Inflammation and Angiogenesis led by Professor Massimiliano Mazzone investigates various topics in the fields of tumor and inflammation, focusing on functional characterization of the hypoxia-response, a key environmental cue of the tumor microenvironment, on the consequent involvement of tumor metabolism in dictating the immune landscape, and on how immune cell positioning within the tumor impacts on function and phenotypic skewing of immune cells.
About Montis Biosciences
Montis Biosciences develops novel immuno-oncology therapeutics targeting the intersection between vascular dysfunction and immune suppression to treat solid tumors.
Based on the work of Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone, Montis Biosciences has created a unique target screening and assay platform to discover and develop novel targets modulating interactions between tumor endothelial cells and perivascular macrophages. Montis is working closely with the labs of Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone to further develop promising therapeutics within this novel immune-oncology field.
About the Center for Cancer Biology
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology (https://www.vibcancer.be) is one of the research departments of VIB (Flanders Institute for Biotechnology) located in the University Hospital Campus in Leuven. CCB hosts 12 research groups with an employment of about 250 researchers, administrative and technical staff. The Center has a very diverse and highly international character, hosting researchers from over 30 different countries.
This is an exciting opportunity to explore the intersection between academia and a dynamic young biotech company. You will be part of a young and international research team with innovative research projects and will lead the:
- Development of novel in vitro endothelial cell/perivascular cell functional assays, including exploration of organoid models
- In vitro and in vivo immune assays with primary macrophages and T cells
- IHC staining of Montis mabs in tumor sections in animal studies and patient tumor samples
- FACS staining of immune cells from tumor samples
- Management and evaluation of Montis mabs in different in vivo mice tumor models, analysis and interpretation of the results
- Project management and communication as the key contact person for Montis within the Labs of Profs. Mazzone and Carmeliet.
It is important to have an innovative academic mindset but also understand the need to focus and drive forward the development of novel therapeutics within an industry setting. Publications are a high priority. Your profile should include:
- Recent Ph.D. in (Immuno)oncology, with minimal 3 years of research experience and excellent publication record in high ranked journals
- FELASA B certificate or equivalent (or superior) attesting the possibility and experience to work with mouse systems.
- Experience with cell-based binding (FACS) and functional in vitro assays with primary cell lines (cancer cells, macrophages, T cells, endothelial cells)
- Experience with performing IHC and immunofluorescence stainings and interpreting data
- Preferable experience with research using biologics and antibodies
- Excellent communicator in English, written and verbal, Dutch is an asset
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Result-driven personality
- Strong commitment and accountability for completion of projects in accordance with objectives
- Ability to work and thrive in a collaborative, cross-functional, team-orientated environment
- Excellent training conditions within a team of experts in the field of angiogenesis and metabolism
- The opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary international cutting edge research lab and interact directly with a young biotech company
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure including core facilities (see: https://vibcancer.be/expertise-centers)
- A dynamic working environment, a competitive remuneration package, and stimulating scientific surrounding in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team
- Long-term career opportunities
- Starting as soon as possible for an initial period of 2 years.
How to apply?
Applications for this position should be submitted online and contain:
- Complete CV
- Motivation letter
- List of publications
- Summary of past research
- Contact information or reference letters of 2 or 3 referees
If you have questions about this position, please contact Andrea Casazza (email@example.com) or Sandra Schoors (firstname.lastname@example.org).