VIB and Montis Biosciences are looking for a Research Assistant to support the team in characterizing and developing next-generation immuno-oncology drugs targeting vasculature-macrophage interactions. The 2-year position is part of a collaboration between biotech company Montis Biosciences and the VIB labs of Montis’ scientific founders Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology in Leuven, Belgium.
About the Peter Carmeliet Lab
The laboratory of Angiogenesis and Vascular Metabolism led by Professor Peter Carmeliet focusses on unraveling the molecular and cellular basis of the formation of blood vessels (angiogenesis) in health and disease and in particular the role of vascular metabolism and vascular heterogeneity herein, with the ultimate goal to identify novel therapeutic pro- or anti-angiogenic strategies.
About the Max Mazzone Lab
The laboratory of Tumor Inflammation and Angiogenesis led by Professor Massimiliano Mazzone investigates various topics in the fields of tumor and inflammation, focusing on functional characterization of the hypoxia-response, a key environmental cue of the tumor microenvironment, on the consequent involvement of tumor metabolism in dictating the immune landscape, and on how immune cell positioning within the tumor impacts on function and phenotypic skewing of immune cells.
About Montis Biosciences
Montis Biosciences develops novel immuno-oncology therapeutics targeting the intersection between vascular dysfunction and immune suppression to treat solid tumors.
Based on the work of Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone, Montis Biosciences has created a unique target screening and assay platform to discover and develop novel targets modulating interactions between tumor endothelial cells and perivascular macrophages. Montis is working closely with the labs of Profs. Peter Carmeliet and Massimiliano Mazzone to further develop promising therapeutics within this novel immune-oncology field.
About the Center for Cancer Biology
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology (https://www.vibcancer.be) is one of the research departments of VIB (Flanders Institute for Biotechnology) located in the University Hospital Campus in Leuven. CCB hosts 12 research groups with an employment of about 250 researchers, administrative and technical staff. The Center has a very diverse and highly international character, hosting researchers from over 30 different countries.
This is an exciting opportunity to explore the intersection between academia and a dynamic young biotech company. You will be part of a young and international research team and work closely with and report to Study Managers at Montis and the key contact persons within the Labs of Profs. Mazzone and Carmeliet.
Your responsibilities and tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Steering in vitro and in vivo immune assays with primary macrophages and T cells.
- Preforming IHC stainings of Montis’ antibodies in tumor sections of animal studies and patient tumor samples.
- Performing FACS stainings of immune cells from tumor samples.
- Animal handling, monitoring of tumor growth, anesthesia, minor surgery, treatment administrations, sampling collection (blood, tissues, organs), and euthanasia.
- Performing experiments according to dedicated protocols (already pre-established or with required optimization), collect, control, and share the data/information related to the experiments with other team members.
- Professional bachelor or master degree in Cell Biology with knowledge in Physiology and animal health in Oncology.
- At least 3 years of experience in relevant fields, immuno-oncology, and industry experience is a plus.
- FELASA B certificate or equivalent attesting the possibility and experience to work with mouse systems accordingly to ethical standards and regulations.
- Experience in performing animal tumor-bearing models with various tumor inoculation sites (subcutaneous, intradermal, mammary fat pad) and various administration routes (oral gavage, intraperitoneal, intravenous, intratumoral), including experience with tumor cell line culturing and preparation for inoculation, anesthesia, and minor surgery, monitoring of tumor volume through calipering or bioluminescence imaging, body weight and survival follow-up, sample collection of blood (via venipuncture), tumor, spleen, lymph nodes, organs.
- Experience in performing ex vivo experiments including processing of preclinical tissue samples (e.g. tumors, lymph nodes, blood) for immune or tumor cell isolation or further analyses.
- Experience in culturing of cancer / animal cells.
- Experience in performing IHC, immunofluorescence staining, and sample preparation for FACS analysis.
- Experience in preparing experimental materials, reagents, and consumables incl. placement of orders.
- Experience in preparing and maintaining experimental equipment (cleaning, washing, sterilization, etc.).
- Mastery of data compilation in accordance with the pre-established protocol, keeping experiment notebook (ELN). Knowledge of relevant IT tools (Microsoft Office, data table software…).
- Eager to learn, self-motivated, and able to independently complete projects in a result-oriented manner and with a pro-active attitude.
- A true team player motivated to work and thrive in a collaborative, cross-functional team-orientated environment.
- Structured and highly organized.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible schedule.
- Fluent in English, written and verbal, Dutch is an asset.
- Excellent training conditions within a team of experts in the field of angiogenesis and metabolism.
- The opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary international cutting-edge research lab and interact directly with a young biotech company.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure including core facilities (see: https://vibcancer.be/expertise-centers).
- A dynamic working environment, a competitive remuneration package, and stimulating scientific surroundings in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team.
- Long-term career opportunities.
- Starting as soon as possible for an initial period of 2 years.
How to apply?
Applications for this position should be submitted online and contain:
- Complete CV
- Motivation letter
- List of publications
- Summary of past research
- Contact information or reference letters of 2 or 3 referees
If you have questions about this position, please contact Andrea Casazza (email@example.com) or Sandra Schoors (firstname.lastname@example.org).