Are you passionate about life sciences? Are you ready to make a real impact by translating the inventions of our world-class scientists into applications for patients and consumers? Then you're the colleague we're looking for! Come and join a skilled and engaging team dedicated to driving the academia-to-industry transition for VIB innovations.
VIB is an entrepreneurial research institute in life sciences that focuses on basic science and translating scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB’s Innovation & Business team manages a portfolio of +250 patent families and looks for partnering deals with the industry in a proactive and creative way. VIB is also firmly rooted in a long-standing tradition of setting up start-up companies. Since its foundation in 1996, VIB has created >25 start-up companies. VIB is funded by the Flemish government and works in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University. The link between basic research and valorization has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team consists of IP, business development, new venture, and discovery sciences professionals supported by a skilled administrative and paralegal team. The team is highly complementary and works closely together to create value out of the scientific inventions from the institute.
To further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is recruiting a Business Development Manager.
We are looking for a proactive and enthusiastic professional, with proven maturity in business environments and a strong scientific background in biomedical life science research. In particular, as Business Development Manager you will be responsible to drive the business development activities for specific VIB research centers in consultation with scientists and colleagues. You are ready to push ground-breaking science from the lab bench to industrial applications, guiding the projects every step along the way.
What you will do:
- Maintain an overview of research conducted in specific VIB research centers and ensure timely identification of business opportunities by acting as the primary contact for VIB’s Innovation & Business team
- Manage scientific, translational projects aimed at de-risking early scientific data to create assets that are ready for partnering with the industry
- Build and present business cases and marketing materials with the aim to partner with the industry (R&D collaborations and/or licensing)
- Identify industrial research partners and /or licensees based on our patent portfolio and research expertise
- Negotiate and draft research, joint ownership, and related agreements with different parties
- Negotiate and draft term sheets and license agreements with industry
- Monitor the correct implementation of concluded agreements & contract follow-up (alliance management)
- Interact closely with colleagues in IP management, Business Development, New Ventures, and VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB’s drug discovery unit) to ensure an optimal valorization route for each asset
- Develop and maintain a network of international corporate contacts
- Liaise with the VIB PIs on tech transfer matters
- Expand VIB’s network with scientific and business contacts in the industry
Who you are:
- Dedicated to proactively translating basic science into industrial collaborations and licensing
- Ph.D. in life sciences and experience in biomedical life sciences research projects – preferably with a background in neuroscience
- Broad scientific background and the ability to deep-dive into a scientific content
- Experience in industry-setting, either a biotech company or large corporate environment, or experience at the interface between industry and research is an asset
- Experience in technology transfer, translational projects, business development, or contract negotiations is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Strong analytical skills
- Self-motivated and upbeat team player
- A professional and stimulating work environment where colleagues take full ownership of projects and guide them to success in a creative way
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Deadline for application: 22 May 2022.