VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 1800 scientists in over 5 universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position is within the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team of currently around 20 scientists and technicians, with a strong industry background, and focusing on validation and translation of VIB scientific breakthroughs into diagnostics, biomarker, drug, and agro product discovery projects.
In order to strengthen its recently started Diagnostics and Biomarker team, VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, and self-motivated (Senior) Lab Technician Diagnostics development with proven relevant experience to strengthen its team in Gent. Experience within a diagnostics-related industrial R&D environment will be an advantage.
- You will perform and/or assist in diagnostics project-related experiments within the team, including sample preparation, qPCR, ELISA,…..
- As a member of the Discovery Sciences Diagnostics team, you will also be closely involved in the development and implementation of novel diagnostics methods & techniques.
- You will obtain training (at the Discovery Sciences labs or at VIB collaborator labs) for relevant diagnostics technologies and apply these skills independently on a daily basis.
- Precise documentation and clear internal communication of results are necessary to ensure efficient and well-organized handling of simultaneous tasks and projects.
- You have a (professional) bachelor´s or master´s degree in laboratory science with a strong interest in molecular diagnostic techniques and applications.
- You have several years of experience in an R&D environment using techniques relevant to diagnostics development (see below)
- Solid hands-on technical and experimental experience in nucleic acid-based diagnostic technologies and qPCR assay development is highly desirable.
- Additional experience in some of the following technologies & fields would be an asset.
- Nucleic acid-based diagnostic technologies such as NGS and ddPCR
- Protein-based diagnostic technologies and assay development (antibody and bead-based immunoassays, ELISA, lateral flow assays…)
- Mass Spectrometry based diagnostic applications
- Keen to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities.
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory.
- Attention to detail, eager to learn, and a curiosity-driven, pragmatic work attitude is needed.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment.
- You are well-organized, proactive, and have a sense of responsibility.
Candidates are offered a full-time, open-ended contract. The position will be Gent-based but for the first year, regular travel to and activities in Prof. Jeroen Raes lab in Leuven (Gasthuisberg Campus, https://raeslab.org/) is anticipated, in relation to a project related to the development of Human Microbiome Diagnostics.
We provide a supportive, stimulating, and international environment with a clear focus on biomarker and diagnostics development, at the forefront of life science, in the best team ever.
Comprehensive social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV