The De Strooper Lab (The Laboratory for the Research of Neurodegenerative Diseases) at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research, Belgium, is seeking a full-time, highly motivated, and dedicated research technician. Our research team works on investigating the basic mechanisms causing Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, focusing on the complex cellular phase of Alzheimer’s disease using state-of-the-art technology.
The candidate will get the opportunity to train and work in several groundbreaking technologies such as spatial omics (Chen et al., Cell, 2020), single-cell biology, CROP-seq, and xenografted mouse models (Fattorelli et al., Nat. Protoc, 2021), focusing on pharmacological drug target discovery and validation. Day-to-day tasks will include maintaining stem cell cultures, generating neuroglia cultures, and setting up in vitro assays; with the possibility to expand to in vivo work. The successful candidate will work closely together with our spin-off biotech Muna Therapeutics to further develop discovery platforms for neurodegenerative disorders.
- You possess a degree (Professional Bachelor/Master/Engineer) in life science programs including biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or related fields.
- Prior work experience in a pharma or biotech setting is preferred.
- Strong technical laboratory skills and ability to constantly optimize methods, develop standard protocols, and improve laboratory operations.
- Strong hands-on cell culture expertise.
- Eager to expand your skill sets in new technologies.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- iPSC cell culture experience is an advantage.
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing is an advantage.
- A FELASA B license for animal work is an advantage.
- A stimulating, diverse, international, and exceptionally strong research environment in a world-class academic laboratory with a focus on Alzheimer’s disease.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- A competitive compensation package taking into account expertise and work experience
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is available immediately
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing previous research experience, and the names and contact information of 3 references.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in a virtual visit? Visit us at https://360.cbd.vib.be