The Metabolomics Expertise Center (MEC) is located on the Gasthuisberg campus in Leuven and specializes in the analysis of biochemical reactions in living cells or organisms (metabolomics) using mass spectrometry as core technology. The MEC is renowned for its high-end technological machine park and holds a unique expertise in Belgium through the development of a GoogleMaps-like platform that helps researchers to understand which biochemical roads are followed. This allows for studying the underlying mechanisms in a broad diversity of diseases such as cancer, neurodegeneration, inflammation, etc. The platform is used intensively by national and international researchers. As such, the MEC significantly contributes to various (inter)national studies in the field of metabolism.
As a lab technician, you will play an important supporting role in the daily activities of the MEC, including sample preparation, keeping various types of mass spectrometers operational and data analysis (processing raw data from the mass spectrometer into biologically interpretable data). You will use various software programs (commercial and in-house developed platforms) and you will be guided by both the senior technical and academic staff of the expertise center.
- You have at least a bachelor's / master's degree in biochemistry/chemistry/bioinformatics or an equivalent profile
- You are flexible and willing to learn new technologies
- Knowledge of mass spectrometry is an asset but not required necessarily
- You are accurate and critical of your work and its implementation
- You can work in a problem-solving manner
- You are comfortable with computers (software)
- You are enthusiastic
- You have good social and communication skills (proficiency in English is required)
- You are client-oriented
- You are a team player
- You are eager to learn new skills (biochemistry, technology)
- A very dynamic and (inter)national environment within one of the top research groups in the field of metabolism
- You will operate unique mass spectrometric platforms representing the state-of-the-art instruments (imaging MS, extreme throughput MS, robotics, etc)
- You are at the basis for "solving" very relevant disease models (cancer, etc) and you will play a critical role in the metabolic research lines of diverse research groups
- You will receive training in operating and keeping highly advanced mass spectrometers (type LC-OrbiTRAP, LC-triplequad, GC-triplequad, LC-OrbiTRAP Lumos, timsTOF Flex, Scimax MR-MS, etc) operational, giving you a unique and highly desired research profile.
- Growth opportunities in your position
- Planned start date: to be discussed (ideally by/after the summer of 2022)
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
For more info en questions, please contact Camila Takeno, firstname.lastname@example.org.