The Laboratory of Sleep and Synaptic Plasticity (PI: Sha Liu) at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is seeking an organized and highly-motivated Lab Technician to join our group. Our lab employs multi-disciplinary approaches, including Drosophila genetics, quantitative behavior analysis, electrophysiology, functional imaging, and neural circuit mapping and manipulation, to study the basic mechanisms underlying sleep and its function in the brain by using fruit fly as the model system.
The technician will help us manage the lab and will support the team in daily research. He/She will be responsible for aspects of lab organization such as lab maintenance, fly stock maintenance, experimental preparation, and overseeing biosafety requirements. The lab technician will help to perform fly behavior and fly neuroanatomy experiments. The successful candidate is also expected to build and maintain custom-made electrical and mechanical devices and instruments for supporting research in the lab.
- Recent Bachelor's degree in neurobiology, biomedical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, or related fields.
- The successful candidate must be meticulous, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to interact well with other members of a diverse research team.
- Is flexible and willing to obtain new expertise and experiences.
- Good verbal and written English and Dutch communication skills.
- Experiences of working in a neurobiology lab.
- Experiences in creating and fixing mechanical/electronic parts and assemblies.
- Experiences in CAM production (e.g. 3D printing, laser cutting) and CAD skills.
- Good technical and career training.
- Open-ended contract, competitive salary, and benefits.
- The position is immediately available
How to apply?
Interested candidates should submit their candidacy through the VIB online application tool.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter stating career goals, past experience, and how these relate to the current position
- your CV
- contact information of 2 references
For further information and questions, please send an email to Sha Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Interested in a virtual visit? Visit us at https://360.cbd.vib.be