The VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research (IRC, Ghent, Belgium) is currently looking for a Bioinformatician (BSc/MSc) to join the research labs of Prof. Geert van Loo and Prof. Lars Vereecke, to organize and analyze data obtained from various types of experiments, including:
- Transcriptomics analysis (bulk-RNAseq)
- Single-cell RNAseq
- Microbiome analysis
- Genetic screens
The candidate will also be asked to write scripts for the analysis of bioimaging data.
The VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research is a highly international research environment that studies the molecular signaling pathways and mechanisms of inflammatory diseases. One particular focus of our research involves the role of the microbiota in health and the development of inflammatory disease and cancer. The person will be associated with the ‘Unit for Cellular and Molecular (Patho)physiology’ headed by Prof. Geert van Loo, and the ‘Host-Microbiota-Interaction lab’ headed by Prof. Lars Vereecke. The person will also be embedded in a team of bio-informaticians in IRC, to stay informed and instructed about the newest Bio-IT developments and to interact with other bioinformaticians in the institute. Candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in bioinformatics are strongly encouraged to apply, but the position is also open to candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in other life science fields with equivalent experience in bioinformatics and data analysis.
- Able to work independently and well-performing in a team as well
- Organized and respecting deadline
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Programming skills in R and/or Python
- Keen interest in sequencing data processing and analysis
- Exciting opportunity to work with highly motivated teams in an international research environment
- Opportunity to further develop your skills and be guided by experts in the fields of sequencing and data analysis
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise
- Open-ended contract (Ghent University)
How to apply?
- Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing your interests, and contact details of referees (if available).
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Geert.firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- The University of Ghent is a sustainable, family-friendly organization, which invests in its employees' growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.