VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University. Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
To support the VIB Core facilities, and their users and to strengthen the liaison with the VIB IT teams, the VIB Core Facility Program is looking for a Research Informatics engineer. The VIB Core facilities provide a competitive advantage to research and industry through support of a wide array of life sciences research fields and housing specialized scientific equipment and services for each discipline. You will support the VIB Core Facilities with research informatics-related tasks like scientific software support, custom infrastructure needs as well as specific laboratory informatics technologies. Importantly, you will be the principal liaison to the local VIB IT teams contributing to improving the services and VIB’s IT infrastructure.
- General ‘go-to’ point for IT-related issues of the Core Facilities and tight liaison to all VIB IT teams
- Provide generic IT support in-person or remotely to Core Facilities
- Designing custom infrastructure solutions including bioinformatics software provisioning jointly with VIB IT teams
- Provide first line user support and admin support related to licensed scientific software of all Core facilities
- Optimise current practices by deploying innovative IT technology for core facilities applications
- Proactively contribute to the improvement of the quality of the services and infrastructure
- Bachelor's degree in applied informatics or bioinformatics and/or equivalent through demonstrated experience
- You have a keen interest in the technical aspects of bioinformatics
- You are motivated to help improve the infrastructure according to best practices and follow the latest innovations
- You have experience in using Linux environments.
- You have excellent knowledge of at least 3 of the following or similar: scripting/automation, git, (bio)conda, Docker, Singularity, and Ansible, ...
- You are communicative and can work independently in a team context
- Experience with virtualization technologies and automated software provisioning is an asset
- Experience with scripting and continuous integration is a plus
- You have a good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of written and spoken Dutch is an asset
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.