Our lab is part of the VIB Center for Inflammation Research (IRC). VIB is a life sciences research institute in Flanders, Belgium. With more than 1400 scientists from over 60 countries, we perform basic research into the molecular foundations of life. Hasselt University belongs to the "Transnational University Limburg" (TUL; UHasselt, Belgium and Maastricht University, Netherlands) and is located in the heart of Europe, with cities such as Brussels, Liège, Aachen (Germany) and Maastricht (Netherlands) in close proximity.
Our group is interested in understanding the mechanisms that lead to immune imbalance and disease. Here, we particularly focus on studying the interplay of environmental factors (nutrition, microbiome) with CD4+ T cells and macrophages in the context of autoimmunity, cardiovascular diseases and cancer (for an overview: Müller et al., Nat Rev Immunol 2019, Arroyo Hornero et al., Front. Immunol. 2020). To study these processes, we use a translational approach, combining the analysis of human samples and using experimental model systems by different immunological, microbiological and molecular biology state-of-the-art techniques.
We are looking for a highly motivated research technician to strengthen our team who will participate in research projects in cellular immunology and microbiology. Ideally, the successful candidate should have a strong background and experience in standard immunological and molecular biology techniques (e.g. murine animal models of disease, cell culture, flow cytometry/FACS, PCR, ELISA, Western blotting). The post holder should be further willing to assist lab members in their daily work for research projects. In addition, the applicant should be willing to manage administrative tasks and coordinate daily lab routine duties and orderings. The applicant must have excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills and a high grade of independence. Fluency in English is required.
Qualifications and Experience
- degree in technical school or equivalent in a relevant field
- ideally 2-3 years of experience as a lab technician in a relevant field
- experience and background in standard immunological and molecular biology techniques (experience in immune cell purification by FACS/MACS and in targeted mutagenesis is a plus)
- experience with mouse models of disease (experience with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) or humanized mouse models is a plus; Felasa certificate to work with animals is required)
- experience in administrative tasks and managing daily lab routine as e.g. placing orders etc.
- excellent communication & teamwork skills
- excellent skills in MS Office and relevant software (e.g. Flowjo, Prism)
- fluency in written and spoken English is required
How to apply?
Interested candidates should send full curriculum vitae including certificates, and the contact information of at least 1 or 2 references.