About the institute and research infrastructure
At VIB it’s our mission to conduct pioneering research in life sciences to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of life and to translate our research findings into products and solutions that benefit society. We believe that breakthrough research in the molecular mechanisms of life will lead to a better quality of life, economic growth, and sustainable societal well-being.
The recent opening of the new VIB Agro-Incubator site will foster the current AgBio/AgTech ecosystem, support start-ups, and catalyse new developments in the sector by providing services to industry and academia. Focus areas are sustainable agriculture, climate change mitigation and adaptation, biological crop protection, and digital farming. VIB wants to deploy the site’s high-tech facilities, such as the automated plant phenotyping platform and the robotic precision sprayer, as an attraction pool for agricultural innovation.
We are looking for a polyvalent plant scientist to support the management and execution of our plant growth trials. You will be involved in primary discussions with academia and industry to shape and delineate research proposals and project outlines. In the next step, you will support in the experimental setup and planning of the experiments. During the execution of the trials, you will perform hands-on measurements and dedicated assays, while taking care of the project stewardship. You would also do the scientific and practical follow-up of projects in the greenhouse making use of our technological facilities. Together with a data scientist, you will look into the generated data and be responsible for the biological interpretation of the research results. Being part of a knowledge center for agricultural innovation, you will also be discussing with external partners and streamlining the reporting for our collaborative projects with academia and industry. Furthermore, within the incubator program, you will guide and train scientists of start-up companies in the use of dedicated lab equipment and be responsible for general lab management. Taken together, this is a job with a lot of variety, responsibility, and social interactions.
- You hold a Ph.D. in plant molecular biology, genetics, agronomy, and biochemistry, with a good background in plant physiology and biotechnology or equivalent research experience
- You can show solid hands-on technical and experimental lab experience
- You are keen to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory
- You have expertise in guiding and supervising people in the lab
- You have evidence of strong project management skills
- You are an enthusiastic and social person with fluent presentation skills
- You are able to work both independently as well as in an interdisciplinary team
- You have an eye for detail, work accurately and have a great sense of responsibility
- An open-ended contract
- A working climate, in which trust and commitment are essential
- A stimulating and supportive environment with opportunities for personal development
- Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
Make sure your application includes:
- A detailed CV
- A one-page motivation letter
- 2 references
The first review of applications will start immediately. Applications are welcome until the position is filled. For more information about this function, you can contact Stijn Dhondt.