The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotech campus in the wonderful city of Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to integrate genetics, bio-computing and omics approaches to unravel plant biological processes and to translate this knowledge into value for society. Please visit us at www.psb.ugent.be for more information.
About the Goormachtig/Rhizosphere lab
The Goormachtig/Rhizosphere lab performs research in the area of beneficial plant-microbe interactions. The lab has a long-lasting experience in the molecular communication between rhizobia bacteria and legume plants, a research topic in which this project is embedded. For more information: https://www.psb.ugent.be/group...
The position is part of a collaborative grant between the Rhizosphere group of the VIB-UGent Center of Plant Systems Biology and the start-up Protealis (https://www.protealis.com/).
The project is situated within the European effort to introduce soybean as a protein crop for sustainable agriculture in Northwestern Europe. More specifically, we are searching for microbial inoculants that efficiently nodulate soybean in order to provide the plants with enough nitrogen to make protein-rich beans for human consumption.
We are looking for a highly motivated molecular plant-microbiologist with experience in plant symbiotic interactions. The researcher will perform experiments related to nodulation with the main focus on labelling various soil bacteria, microscopic analysis of microbial infections of soybean, as well as functional analysis of excellent performing strains and consortia. The scientist will be central within the collaboration between the company and the VIB lab, and thus he/she should be strongly interested in transitioning fundamental research into application.
We are looking for:
- A junior post-doc in Life Sciences or Bioscience-engineering
- Hands-on experience in molecular microbiology
- Strong interest or hands-on experience in plant-microbe interaction research is an asset
- You love to take initiative and are a team player
- You have strong perseverance and a critical mind-set
- Organization and communication are your talents
- A 3-year position starting around September 1st, 2022
- Access to cutting-edge technologies and infrastructure within an excellence-based research institute
- A stimulating and supportive scientific environment
How to apply?
If you are interested, please complete the online application procedure, including a detailed CV and a motivation letter.
Applications are welcome until the position is filled. Applications by email will not be considered.