The Bioinformatics and (Eco-)Systems Biology lab within the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Microbiology headed by Prof. Jeroen Raes investigates the diversity, functional role, and variability of the human microbiome in health and disease. We are looking for a highly motivated laboratory technician to support our national and international research on the isolation, identification, characterization, and preservation of bacteria from human intestinal samples.
You will work together in a team of technicians to support the daily tasks & different projects.
Your tasks will be performing technical & administrative tasks in the lab such as:
- Sample management (sample receive, registration, inventory, …)
- Performing DNA- RNA- alkaline extractions (manually & with a robotic platform)
- Anaerobic culturing & fermentations (manually & with Ambr-platform)
- Media preparation
- Sequencing preparation (16S + shotgun)
- (RT) PCR
- Fragment analyzer measurements
- Cell count by flow cytometry
- Moisture + Calprotectin measurements
- Reporting to the manager
- Administration (writing SOP’s, keeping lab-book, …)
- You will work full time and can start immediately.
- You obtained a professional bachelor's with a biomedical, biochemical, or biotechnological background or equal through experience.
- You have experience with some of the above-mentioned techniques and should be willing to learn new techniques as well as expand your practical and technological knowledge.
- You can work independently in an international research team.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English.
- You are a team player with a pro-active and results-oriented attitude, highly organized and structured, and a detail-oriented lab worker with good interpersonal and communication skills.
We offer a full-time contract as a lab technician in a dynamic, international, research environment for one year, with the possibility of renewal for an indefinite duration.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.