About the lab
VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 1900 scientists located in 5 partner universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position at VIB is intended to run spatial biology projects in close collaboration with KU Leuven and the European Spatial Biology Center (ESBC NV). The ESBC has recently kick-started as a service provider for spatial biology technologies at scale, by offering services to large-scale projects and providing key biological insights to its customers.
To strengthen the spatial biology services in Leuven, VIB wishes to recruit an enthusiastic and energetic senior technician to run spatial biology projects. In this role, you will be running wet-lab spatial (multi-)omics methods and technologies, mostly for industrial (and academic) clients, and will be performing spatial technology development projects. You will be responsible for helping with experimental design, the accurate execution, and reporting of the projects, and training of new team members. As such you will make a significant contribution to help answer key fundamental biological questions with high impact in their respective fields (e.g. neuroscience, oncology, plant sciences).
- Perform wet-lab spatial (multi-)omics experiments using custom protocols and novel workflows and help in the design
- Run spatial biology method development projects and help in the design
- Manage and execute customer projects according to defined timelines, while following industry and regulatory standards, and standard operating procedures
- Engage with customers and collaborators throughout the life cycle of a project
- Assess experimental/equipment faults and issues as they arise and take the initiative to perform appropriate troubleshooting to ensure a rapid solution
- Monitor laboratory resources, re-ordering where necessary to ensure stock levels are maintained to help keep the laboratory running as efficiently as possible
- Provide technical advice and guidance to less experienced team members where applicable.
- Train new team members and visiting workers/collaborators
We are looking for a senior lab technician who is highly motivated, well-organized, and dynamic with a high level of independence and creative thinking:
- Bachelor in Laboratory Technology or equivalent through experience, with several years of experience
- Motivation and ambition to make a personal contribution to spatial biology/omics
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of histology, microscopy, and image data analysis is desired
- Experience with designing experimental workflows using existing methods
- Experience with guiding or training students or new team members.
- Experience with single-cell and spatial (multi-)omics technologies is a plus
- Ability to learn, understand, implement and troubleshoot novel/complex molecular biology techniques appearing in the field
- High level of work accuracy, organizational skills, and flexible nature
- Team player who likes to work in a multidisciplinary (international) team
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Desire and willingness to work at the interface of industry and academia
- Full-time employment for an indefinite period
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A stimulating (international, multidisciplinary) environment at the interface of industry and academia, where agility, quality, professionalism, and team spirit are encouraged
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact, state-of-the-art projects
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team making a meaningful contribution to science
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.