The Laouimmunology lab headed by prof. Damya Laoui is an integral part of the laboratory of Myeloid Cell Immunology (vib.be/labs/van-ginderachter-lab and cmim.research.vub.be). It is located in Brussels at the VUB campus Etterbeek and is both part of the VIB Inflammation Research Center (IRC) and Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).
The Laouimmunology lab is focused on unravelling the role of conventional dendritic cells (cDCs) in the tumor microenvironment and how cDCs can be used to prevent tumor growth and metastasis. We have shown that tumor-derived cDCs, when isolated from the tumor and re-injected in mice, can reduce tumor growth significantly (Laoui et al. Nature Communications, 2016). To translate these findings from a pre-clinical mouse setting to a first treatment in patients in a phase I clinical trial, we are looking for an outstanding enthusiastic scientist to join our lab.
In this post-doctoral position, you will be working on bringing the cDC cell therapy to the clinic which entails the following tasks:
- Actively manage the project in close collaboration with prof. Damya Laoui
- Design, perform and analyse pre-clinical mouse experiments with cDC cell therapy to support optimal clinical trial design
- Design, perform and analyse in vitro / ex-vivo experiments to optimize & standardize cDC isolation for use in GMP conditions
- Development of assays to ensure cDC quality
- Coordinate the start-up of cleanroom facilities for cDC isolation during clinical trials (ie. contacting FAGG, coordinating inspections, ...)
- Write experimental reports and support filing of IMPDs/clinical trial applications.
The position is supported by a 4-year ‘Kom op tegen Kanker’ grant (competitive renumeration will be offered), which will allow you to develop highly valued skills in an exciting scientific field. And this all as part of a welcoming, enthusiastic and diverse team of young scientists.
The postdoctoral position can start from the 1st of October 2022.
- You have a PhD in biology, bio-engineering sciences, medical sciences, biomedical sciences or related disciplines (or will defend this year) or hold a master degree and have experience with cell therapies.
- You ideally have strong skills in some of the tasks described above and are motivated to acquire expertise in the other tasks.
- You are able to manage the project, analyse data, but also are not afraid of performing cell and mouse work
- You have experience working with mouse models (preferably FELASA B), in vitro cell culture, assay development, flow cytometry, cell sorting, immunological assays, ...
- You are interested and motivated to work on ambitious projects in an open, dynamic and driven team
- You have a strong ability to multi-task, meet timelines and work accurately
- You have excellent organizational skills, you can work in a team as well as independently
- You have good communication skills in spoken and written English
How to apply?
- A detailed CV, containing a full list of publications
- Motivation letter
- Summary of past research
- Names and contact information of 2-3 referees
For additional information on the position contact Prof. Dr. Damya Laoui (firstname.lastname@example.org)