About the lab:
The Laboratory of Neurobiology is part of the research group Experimental Neurology (Neuroscience Department) at KU Leuven. The group has a close collaboration with the Neurology Department of the University Hospitals Leuven with about 50 researchers in different domains.
In addition, the laboratory is one of the research groups of the VIB Center for Brain & Disease Research (CBD) at KU Leuven/ Campus Gasthuisberg focusing on Neuroscience. There are 18 research groups within the CBD with a total employment of more than 300 researchers (38 different nationalities).
The Laboratory of Neurobiology (https://vandenboschlab.sites.vib.be/en) focuses on clinical and fundamental research into the prevention, heredity, the pathogenesis and treatment of neurodegenerative disorders such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), frontotemporal dementia (FTD), Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) and other peripheral neuropathies.
You will be part of a team that is working in close collaboration with an industrial partner in the search towards novel therapeutic strategies in the context of peripheral neuropathies. The majority of the work package will exist of testing and evaluating new compounds in cell & animal models. You will be involved in the whole process from compound preparation over compound administration, follow-up, analysis & interpretation of the data. This will mainly involve the following techniques:
- Molecular biology (DNA/RNA/Protein extraction, Western Blot)
- Confocal microscopy
- Rodent handling/treatment/follow-up
- Cell cultures (human cell lines & IPSC-derived neuronal lines)
- You possess at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent.
- The ideal candidate would be an enthusiastic & driven person who is capable of working meticulously & reporting the obtained results in an adequate manner.
- We are looking for a real team player who will take up the needed responsibilities.
- Experience with animal work (rodents) is a plus, although not required.
- You are result-oriented, independent and able to work in an interdisciplinary environment and have strong communication skills.
- You are flexible and stress resistant.
- Good English skills - both oral and written - are essential in our international research group.
- Full-time contract of 1 year in an enthusiastic and motivated team in a dynamic scientific work environment. Contract renewal is dependent on a positive evaluation and available funding.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Intensive training related to the experiments that will need to be performed.
- Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their candidacy in English through the VIB online application tool.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter
For further information and questions, please send an email to Nuray Elcin (Nuray.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Interested in a virtual visit? Visit us at https://360.cbd.vib.be