The VIB Flow Core Ghent is one of the leading flow cytometry cores in Europe and provides service to VIB research groups, academics, and industrial partners. We have a broad range of (imaging) flow cytometer analyzers, fluorescence-activated cell sorters (FACS), and multiplex devices. The central lab is located at the VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research, Technologiepark, Zwijnaarde.
We are looking for an expert to strengthen our team of three people, who will help with the further development of our services and training program, and who participate in the daily operations of the facility making sure our users can work according to best practices.
An overview of the core and the state-of-the-art instrument park can be found here:
The successful candidate will play a key role in the flow core and report directly to the Head of Core. In practice this means you will:
- Assist researchers with experimental setup, panel design, data acquisition, and analysis of their data
- Write SOPs and manuals
- Help maintain a high standard quality control and assurance system for all VIB flow core devices
- Train the users and newcomers on the analyzers and FACS machines
- Develop, together with the Head of Core, a training program to keep the core users up to date with all the latest developments
- Provide, when needed, an operator service for the fluorescence-activated cell sorters (FACS) and assist scientists with their FACS experiments
- Help with new assay and technology development
- Ph.D./MSc/professional BSc or equivalent through experience
- Min. 4 years of experience with high parameter flow cytometry and FACS
- Good knowledge of flow cytometry acquisition and analysis software (e.g., DiVa, FlowJo)
- Dedication to serving the scientific community with best-practice flow cytometry applications
- Motivation to work in a team and in close coordination with facility users
- You have strong organisational skills
- You are eager to learn new techniques, expand your knowledge, and take responsibility
- Experience in training will be a plus
- You are a team player with very good communication skills
- You can work independently in a multidisciplinary team
- Good oral and written communication skills in English are essential
We offer an exciting and versatile function in a dynamic, fast-growing flow core facility, equipped with state-of-the-art flow cytometers (>20 devices). VIB is a stimulating international and multidisciplinary environment. We have a strong user base and qualified team and you will get the opportunity to expand your expertise in a wide variety of research areas (biomedical research, plant biotechnology, ...). At VIB, you will work at a leading international research institution. We offer full-time employment with an open-ended contract and a competitive compensation package. Salary will be based on expertise and experience.
About VIB and the VIB Technologies program
VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders.
The VIB Technologies program constitutes the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allows scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Technologies comprises 10 state-of-the-art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven, or Brussels https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en. The role of these core facilities is to support the 1700 researchers at VIB with their expertise. Within VIB technologies we have over 100 staff members.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
The job application can be in English or Dutch and should contain a motivation letter, a CV, and if possible one or two references.