VIB is a life sciences research institute based in Flanders, conducting world-class research in the fields of biotechnology and life sciences. The mission of VIB is to translate scientific insights into economic, social, and ecological benefits for society. Over 1.800 research staff contribute to VIB’s mission. They work in 10 thematic research centers, representing more than 80 individual research groups, and are based at the 5 university research campuses in Ghent, Leuven, Brussels, Antwerp, and Hasselt.
As Sustainability Officer you will be responsible for developing and implementing sustainability strategies for VIB, in line with the organization's mission and values. You will work closely with the COO, as well as with VIB’s research centers, to drive sustainability initiatives and ensure that VIB operates in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Develop and implement a sustainability strategy for VIB, in line with the organization's mission and values.
- Work closely with the COO and key internal stakeholders to identify areas where VIB can improve its sustainability performance. In particular, work together with the eco-teams already in place at the different VIB research centers, with the purchase and finance team and the facilities, and the communication team.
- Liaise with the partner universities to align on sustainability strategies.
- Conduct research and analysis to understand VIB's environmental impact and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to support sustainable practices across all areas of the organization.
- Monitor and report on VIB's sustainability performance, including the implementation of sustainability initiatives and progress against sustainability targets.
- Raise awareness of sustainability issues and promote sustainable practices across the organization.
- Liaise with external stakeholders being suppliers, customers, and regulatory and government bodies, to ensure that VIB is meeting its sustainability commitments.
- Keep up to date with best practices in sustainability and advise the organisation on new and emerging trends.
- A Master's degree in a relevant field.
- An initial experience in a sustainability-related role
- A good understanding of sustainability issues and best practices in life science environment, and the ability to translate these into practical solutions for VIB.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify opportunities for sustainability improvement.
- Demonstrated project management experience and strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication (English and Dutch) and interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and engage stakeholders at all levels.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, with a commitment to delivering results.
- Knowledge of sustainability regulations and reporting frameworks.
If you are passionate about sustainability and want to make a difference, and if you have the skills and experience outlined above, we would love to hear from you.
- A full-time position in a professional and international work environment in a world-class scientific institute
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Learning and development opportunities to broaden your expertise
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a motivation letter and a detailed CV in English.