VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles.
The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites Europe’s leading life-science organisations. The core team of the Belgian ELIXIR Node, which is embedded in the Core, has been active in providing platforms and guidance for research data management and reproducible data analysis.
We are looking for a result-driven Team lead Data Analysis to further develop, monitor and supervise the data analysis activities of the VIB Data Core.
The Team lead Data Analysis will be responsible for the implementation and deployment of software tools, platforms, and workflows, enabling reproducible data analysis for the VIB Research Centers and Core Facilities. You will develop a strategy to provide a portfolio of analysis services for VIB use cases, in close collaboration with infrastructure providers: the Data Center team of the VIB Data Core and the Flemish Supercomputer Center (VSC). The goal is to enable state-of-the-art computational research through high-quality services for the diverse stakeholders within VIB: from wet-lab researchers to bioinformaticians and research software engineers.
The data analysis team will also coordinate community building of bioinformaticians and research software developers across the VIB Research Centers and Core Facilities. In collaboration with the VIB Technology Training Unit, a training portfolio will be further developed to improve the reproducibility of data analyses, and quality and sustainability of the developed tools and resources.
As Team lead Data Analysis you will:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the data analysis team
- Develop and implement a roadmap to achieve the goals, in collaboration with the Head of the VIB Data Core and other VIB entities
- Ensure alignment of the activities with the institutional policies and objectives
- Coordinate the activities and strategy with major regional, national, and international stakeholders
- Manage projects, both internal as obtained through competitive grants, and delegate tasks to the team members
- Establish strong working relations with national key stakeholders and relevant international efforts
- Empower team members with skills to improve their knowledge and perform at their optimum
- Master or Ph.D. degree in life sciences or equivalent through experience
- Experience in data-intensive biomedical research
- Experience with analysis platforms used in life sciences, e.g. Galaxy, Nextflow, Jupyter Notebooks, RStudio
- Demonstrated ability to lead, organise and manage delivery within a collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and successfully lead multi-stakeholder projects
- Highly developed analytical, problem-solving, strategic planning, and decision-making ability
- Experience working in an academic environment is an asset
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing in English
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise, and benefits
- An innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe
- Contribute to the kickstart of a future-proof, researcher-oriented ecosystem for data analysis open to all researchers in a stimulating international context
- Opportunities for personal development
- Workplace is located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking, with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office
How to apply?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including CV and letter of motivation.