VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles.
The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites Europe’s leading life-science organisations. The core team of the Belgian ELIXIR Node, which is embedded in the Core, has been active in providing platforms and guidance for research data management and reproducible data analysis.
The Galaxy platform is an open-source, web-based platform for data-intensive life sciences research. This research environment provides support for reproducible science, facilitates sharing of data and results, and removes the need for users to compile and install tools.
We are looking for a DevOps to strengthen our multidisciplinary service team responsible for data analysis, software development, and computational operations.
The Data Analysis team within the VIB Data Core will deploy commonly used services in life sciences on an on-premise cloud infrastructure. As DevOps you will be responsible for managing and maintaining usegalaxy.be. You will work closely with the international Galaxy community and specifically usegalaxy.eu, contributing to the implementation of new features in the platform and improvements to the services we offer through the platform to life-science researchers.
You will work closely with the VIB Data Core team and the Flemish Supercomputer Center, and with researchers to deploy analysis tools and workflows. You will report to the Team lead Data Analysis.
- Manage and deploy the Belgian Galaxy platform and related services on cloud infrastructure, through CI/CD
- Participate in the design and development of the (distributed) software architecture
- Install and deploy scientific software
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, bioinformatics, or equivalent
- Demonstrated programming experience, proficiency in Python is an asset
- Hands-on experience with Linux/Unix environments and administration
- Experience with code versioning systems e.g. git
- Experience with cloud technologies and containerisation is an asset
- User-oriented attitude with a focus on service delivery
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise, and benefits
- An innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB, the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe, and the global Galaxy community
- Contribute to the building of a future-proof, researcher-oriented ecosystem for data analysis open to all researchers
- Opportunities for personal development
- Workplace is located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking, with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office
How to apply?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.