VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles.
The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites life-science research groups. The core team of the Belgian ELIXIR Node, which is embedded in the VIB Data Core, has been active in providing platforms and guidance for research data management and reproducible data analysis. More information on ELIXIR Belgium can be found at https://www.elixir-belgium.org.
We are looking for a Software developer for the development of WorkflowHub and DataHub.
As a Software developer you will further develop the open-source platform FAIRDOM-SEEK, underlying the DataHub research (meta)data management platform and the WorkflowHub registry. You will work in a multidisciplinary team in the VIB Data Core, in close collaboration with international partners involved in ELIXIR and multiple European projects. You will focus on features to implement the principles of Open Science and reproducible data analysis. You will report to the Team Lead Data Management.
As a Software developer you will:
- Be responsible for further develop WorkflowHub and assist in the development of DataHub
- Be responsible to manage the production, test, and development instances of DataHub
- Collaborate closely with the team’s data stewards to define and develop new features
- Leverage FAIRDOM-SEEK’s APIs to integrate existing systems or specialised platforms such as data management planning tools and data analysis platforms
- Bachelor or Master's degree in Computer Science/Informatics or equivalent software engineer experience through a proven track record
- Familiar with standards and good practices for clean, robust, and reproducible programming
- Knowledgeable of W3C standards, technologies, and best practices in web development
- Knowledge of Restful API design patterns
- Interest in front-end development and GUI
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing in English
- Able to work both independently as well as in an international, distributed team
- Experience in cloud deployment and CI/CD is an asset
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise, and benefits
- An innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe
- Contribute to the building of a future-proof, researcher-oriented ecosystem for the management of analysis workflows and research data open to all researchers
- Opportunities for personal development
- Workplace is located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking, with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office
How to apply?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.