VIB is a world-leading non-profit research institute in the Life Sciences, located in Flanders, Belgium. About 1,800 scientists investigate the principles of life, from molecules to single cells and whole organisms, ranging from microbes to plants, animals, and humans. Based on a close partnership with the Flemish universities, VIB unites the forces of 90 research groups clustered in nine thematic research centers. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders (Belgium). VIB strives for a respectful and supportive working environment and a culture of belonging for diverse talents in the organization.
The VIB Science Policy Unit oversees all activities that strengthen the quality of VIB science by fostering a stimulating and supportive environment for VIB research. The Science Policy team also houses the Grants office, contributes to science policy initiatives on a local and international level, and manages the regulatory affairs and research integrity-related activities of VIB.
With the increasing number of exciting programs, the Science Policy Unit is searching for an enthusiastic Science Policy Officer to join their team and further shape VIB’s stimulating environment for research.
As Science Policy Officer you will contribute to:
- VIB’s peer review and research assessment activities by identifying field experts, running and improving scientometric or business analyses, and exploring new tools & workflows for these purposes.
- You will follow up on the science in the research centers and develop an understanding of their strategic developments and needs.
- Through interaction with your colleagues, the research centers, and our strategic partners, you will develop a critical eye toward the policies and trends in research at local and international scale and contribute to the development of new policies at VIB and internationally.
- You possess a Ph.D. in Life Sciences or equivalent through experience,
- You have a background in bio-molecular research and you can translate the obtained knowledge to different areas of life sciences,
- You are interested in and are capable to liaise with the (VIB) scientific community,
- You hold solid analytical skills with an affinity for software tools,
- You are a team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills,
- You easily and effectively communicate with different stakeholders
- You are fluent in English (verbally and in writing)
- A varied and exciting job in a dynamic, innovative, and international environment.
- In-house training
- Full-time position with an open-ended contract
- Flexible working hours through hybrid working
- Salary according to your experience, with several additional benefits.
Please apply through our online recruiting system.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references