Are you passionate about life sciences valorisation? Are you ready to make a real impact by translating the inventions of our world-class scientists into applications in the field of Life Sciences? Then you're the colleague we're looking for! Come and join a skilled and engaging team dedicated to driving the academia-to-industry transition for VIB innovations.
VIB is an entrepreneurial research institute in life sciences that focuses on basic science and translating scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural, and industrial applications. VIB’s Innovation & Business team manages a portfolio of +250 patent families and looks for partnering deals with the industry in a pro-active and creative way. VIB is also firmly rooted in a long-standing tradition of setting up start-up companies. Since its foundation in 1996, VIB has created >30 start-up companies. VIB is funded by the Flemish government and works in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University. The link between basic research and valorisation has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team consists of IP, business development, new venture, and discovery sciences professionals supported by a skilled administrative and paralegal team. The team is highly complementary and works closely together to create value out of the scientific inventions from the institute.
To further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is recruiting a Business Development Manager.
We are looking for a pro-active and enthusiastic professional, with preferably experience in business or tech transfer positions in a life sciences industry or research institute environment and a strong scientific background in life science research.
What you will do:
- Support VIB innovation & business valorisation opportunities and business case building with deep-dive business analyses of project USPs, competitive landscape, markets, and potential valorisation strategies
- Support VIB innovation & business internal and external Tech Transfer training activities, including course & seminar organisation, course materials, online training materials, etc.
- Coordinate & support tech transfer training, coaching, and support activities with external Universities or Research Institutes
- Support Inward investment opportunities
- Develop and coordinate strategies to attract Life science & Biotech start-ups & scale-ups for the VIB Bio-incubator ecosystem, for example, look for Life Science Companies to take root in the brand-new VIB Bioincubator facilities in a new, landmark building on the Tech Lane Ghent campus but also including other existing incubators in Flanders.
- Interact closely with colleagues in IP management, Business Development, New Ventures, and VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB’s drug discovery unit) to ensure an optimal information sharing
- Develop and maintain a network of international corporate, academic & research institute contacts
Who you are:
- Ph.D. or Master in a life sciences or health related discipline, or equivalent by experience
- Broad scientific background and strong interest in (the business aspects of) translational research
- Experience in an industry-setting, or experience at the interface between industry and academic research is preferable
- Experience in project management is an asset
- Experience in technology transfer, translational projects, business case development and analysis are a plus
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory.
- Strong analytical skills
- Self-motivated and upbeat team player
- Ability to work independently and with minimal guidance
- A professional and stimulating work environment at the cutting edge of translational science
- An environment where colleagues take full ownership of projects and tasks and, as a team, guide them to success in a creative and innovative way
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references